[Catalog-sig] Adding trove categories

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Fri Mar 3 23:38:41 CET 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Friday 03 March 2006 10:14, you wrote:
>
>>I'd go +1 for (freeform) tags.. the tags people want to use to
>>describe their projects should shake out pretty quickly, and it
>>prevents us from ever having to request a new topic whenever someone
>>comes up with a new idea or web framework :)
>

> No, free-form fields should be somewhere else. Propose a "keywords" field if
> you like, but I believe the description field performs this job adequately.

There is a keywords field.  This would work okay if there was better
abilities to query and browse that field.  I don't remember how it is
stored in the database.

But anyway, assuming we are doing that, how should we open up
participation?  The lack of a representative database dump makes it hard
for other people to work on it on their local machines.  And of course
Subversion access for some people.