[Catalog-sig] feedback received from python.org trac

jim_on_linux inq1ltd at verizon.net
Sun Mar 12 22:31:24 CET 2006

Dear Martin,

On Saturday 11 March 2006 08:15, Martin v. Löwis
wrote:

> Dear Jim,
> I still wonder what improvement you are looking
> for.

If this type of event is a regular occurrence,
then I suggest something like the following.

When registering, I would require a third
identifier in addition to name and password.

The third identifier:
Offer a pop-up menu with many choices.  Instruct
the user to pick at least four choices from this
menu. But, pick only one that the user would, or
could, easily answer.

Then, In the case where someone may forget either
password, login identifier, or have an email
address change, then a click on the button,
"Cannot login?"
would call the following form:

Enter the email address that you used when
registering with this system: ...................

Enter Your current email address: ...............

Both email addresses above must be entered.

Answer only two of the following questions.

Enter login id: .............

Enter Password: ........................

(Below are questions that could have been picked
from a menu of many by the user at registration,
and only one of which would be answered or
error.)

My son's first car, make and
year: ...................

My mothers's maiden name , first and last
name: .............

The city my mother was born in.

My favorite movie: .................

My oldest sister's birthday, month and
year: .............

The city my father was born in: ...........

(And many others that could be suggested.)

A valid email and login gets an email sent to
user.

A correct login ID and answered question is a
valid login.

And a valid password and answered question is a
valid login.

If the email addresses above don't match, then, no
email is sent but the user can change the email
after entering the system.

In all cases the user can then change any of the
parameters, with two of three identifiers, valid
email, password or login, answered question.

Keeping track of passwords can be a pain, but
picking a third way of entering a system from
one's life's experience (a little harder to
forget than a password) may be a additional way
to keep some of this stuff in order.

Regards,

jim