[Catalog-sig] feedback received from python.org trac

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Sun Mar 12 22:36:43 CET 2006

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 16:31:24 -0500, jim_on_linux <inq1ltd at verizon.net> wrote:
>Dear Martin,
>
>On Saturday 11 March 2006 08:15, Martin v. Löwis
>wrote:
>
>> Dear Jim,
>> I still wonder what improvement you are looking
>> for.
>
>If this type of event is a regular occurrence,
>then I suggest something like the following.
>
> [snip - "Secret question" system description]
>
>Keeping track of passwords can be a pain, but
>picking a third way of entering a system from
>one's life's experience (a little harder to
>forget than a password) may be a additional way
>to keep some of this stuff in order.

I hate these systems.  Did I provide real information because I was fed up with them and didn't care about security?  Did I make up something and if I did did I write it down someplace?  Which question did I provide an answer to?  What do I do when I forget the answer to _this_ round of questions?

If you can't remember your password, write it down.  At least then you are limiting your exposure to people with physical access to your terminal, instead of opening yourself up to attacks from anyone who knows how to use google.

Or better yet, just keep your email address in the system up to date.  There are a slew of free email services which will give you an address that lasts practically forever: get one and use it.

Jean-Paul