[Catalog-sig] How to get best match URL to find source?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Nov 6 03:46:47 CET 2006

At 08:47 PM 11/5/2006 -0500, Tim Cera wrote:
>I am trying to get the best match URL that points to source.  How should
>I do that?
>
>I can't use easy_install since as near as I can figure, I can't force it
>to collect only source.

See the --editable and --build-directory arguments.  Simple usage:

    easy_install -eb. ProjectName

Will download projectname's source (or check it out of Subversion), and
unpack it to a directory called './projectname' (all lowercase).  (The '.'
is actually whatever directory you give to the -b or --build-directory option.)

>I have tried something like below:
>
>  pkgindex = PackageIndex()
>  output = pkgindex.fetch_distribution(Requirement.parse(pkg), 'sandbox',
>force_scan=True, source=True)
>
>It does download the package, but I can't find the URL anywhere.  Am I
>missing it?  Is it possible to get to?

Not using fetch_distribution(), no.  You would have to do the same steps
that fetch_distribution() does to find it.