[Catalog-sig] PyPI overloaded(?)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Oct 17 20:26:54 CEST 2006

Ben Bangert wrote:
> On Oct 17, 2006, at 10:37 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton schrieb:
>>> I should have noted in my note that my intent is not to complain.
>>> Mainly, I want to make sure that we we're in agreement about the goals
>>> and to make sure the PSF allocates the rsources needed to achieve them.
>>
>> Can you volunteer yourself or somebody else to help in maintaining
>> PyPI?
>
> I'll volunteer to help out in maintenance. I'm in agreement with Jim
> that PyPI definitely needs some sort of mirror system. While I currently
> advocate that people using setuptools based installations maintain their
> own egg repo in case PyPI is unavailable,

I'm not sure that is very practical.  We're using lots of eggs
that we don't produce. They may depend on still more that we
don't produce...

 > it'd be great to have mirrors.

The only obvious way to have a usable separate
repo is to create a mirror and I'm afraid having a lot of (or a few)
people creating mirrors could end up crushing pypi in the process.
I think this will require some coordination.

> On a side-note, I don't know who maintains PyPI now, but thank you for
> the great job,

Absolutely!

> for a single un-mirrored site, the reliability thus far
> has been great.

Well, yesterday wasn't the first day I had a problem.

Jim