[Catalog-sig] Time for a static cheeseshop mirror for easy_install?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Apr 9 20:30:17 CEST 2007

At 11:35 AM 4/9/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:

>On Apr 9, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>
> > Jim Fulton schrieb:
> >>
> >> Is there any reason why easy_install shouldn't look there?
> >
> > It's only files, no descriptions.
> >
> > Also, some authors don't have their files on /packages, but at their
> > own servers - i.e. they use the Cheeseshop just as a Python
> > package index, not as a comprehensive package archive network.
>
>Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting that easy_install should
>look here instead of where it already looks, but this seems like a
>good and cheap place to look especially when a specific version
>number is given.

Actually, version number doesn't help here; it's Python version, and source
vs. binary that are the relevant distinctions.  The download directories
include files for all versions of a given project, so we would want to hit
these three locations:

http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/*pyver*/p/projectname/
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/any/p/projectname/
http://cheeseshop.python.org/packages/source/p/projectname/

And we would then have all the downloadable-from-cheeseshop links.  (I
thought we could skip the "any", but some win32 exe's are classed as "any"
Python version, and easy_install supports win32 exe's.)

This is more web hits than is currently required to obtain similar
information, but on the plus side they are efficient hits for the
server.  They also allow access to *all* versions of a package that are
downloadable, whether they are "hidden" or not.

On the minus side, there is no way to find externally-hosted files or SVN
links, which means we would still have to always hit the dynamic page to
know if we had found everything relevant.