[Catalog-sig] [Pydotorg] PyPI down

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 1 23:09:53 CEST 2007

> Perhaps the CPU load was so high that the PyPI FCGI took a long time
> to open its socket, such a long time that Apache concluded that it
> hadn't started.

I think in this case, mod_fcgi would log a message "failed to respond"
or some such. The actual log message was like "pypi.fcgi exited with
status code 0" - so it wasn't killed (IIUC). I added syslog messages
to pypi.fcgi; it looks like something raises SystemExit, so pypi.fcgi
terminates "voluntarily". I'm not quite sure where the exit comes
from (but I since added logs to the two SystemExit occurrences in
thfcgi.py).

What is puzzling is that it will immediately do the same thing after
being started fresh.