[Catalog-sig] A first step at improving PyPI: the "egg" command

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Aug 14 15:40:54 CEST 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 3:18 AM, Bjørn Stabell wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I think there's a lot to gain for Python by improving PyPI, and I'm
> willing to help.

Great!

>   I did help a bit with PyPI at last year's
> EuroPython sprint, and was then made aware of http://wiki.python.org/
> moin/CheeseShopDev - is this the most up-to-date plans for PyPI?
>
> If you're in a hurry and don't want to read everything;
>
>   1)	I've created a little app to help prototype how we can do better
> 	egg/package management at http://contrib.exoweb.net/trac/browser/egg/

I get prompted for a password for that,

(More ideas than I have time to absorb at the moment snipped.)

I think you need to raise this on the distutils sig as well.  Thats'
where setuptools is discussed and much of what you describe is
addressed to some degree by setuptools.

It is still my opinion that the distutils-sig and catalog-sig should
be combined.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org