[Catalog-sig] permissive trove classification

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 19:17:50 CET 2007

Doug Hellmann wrote:

> As a package owner/maintainer, I would much rather have a warning or
> error message from the server when I upload something with an unknown
> category. That way I can correct any typographical mistakes.  If the
> server completely ignores the bad data, I don't have an easy way to
> realize something is wrong.

A warning would be fine, as long as the server treats the other items.
An error would block the process.

For example, if we have 2 pypi servers, one that deals with 1..n categories,
one with A..Z,
we could have a package with such classifiers:

classifiers = ['category 1', 'category A', 'category 2']

Each server could pick the categories it knows.

Tarek