[Catalog-sig] permissive trove classification

Doug Hellmann doug at hellfly.net
Thu Dec 27 13:57:00 CET 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 5:44 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>
>> Offering a warning and accepting the known categories seems like a
>> reasonable compromise.  Is it an error if there are no known
>> categories in the list?
>
> Now my company "ACME", classifies packages in two categories: public,
> private. It has a copy
> of the PyPI trove too.
> So my classifier become:
>
>   ACME :: Visibility :: Public
>   Development Status :: 5 - Production/Stable
>   Intended Audience :: Developers
>   License :: OSI Approved :: Zope Public License
>   Programming Language :: Python
>   Topic :: Database
>   Topic :: Software Development :: Libraries :: Python Modules
>   Operating System :: Microsoft :: Windows
>   Operating System :: Unix
>
> When I upload it to the cheeseshop, I would expect something like
> this in
> return:
>
> Warning "ACME :: Visibility :: Public" classifier not found on the
> server
> 200 - OK

That makes sense.

On the other hand, suppose that for some reason "ACME ::
Visibility :: Public" was the only category listed for your software
(or that you had a long list of ACME-specific categories, none of
which are known to PyPI).  What response would you expect when you
uploaded it to PyPI?  I would want an error, since the resulting
package would not show up in any categories at all.

Doug