[Catalog-sig] permissive trove classification

Doug Hellmann doug at hellfly.net
Thu Dec 27 20:25:42 CET 2007

On Dec 27, 2007, at 1:22 PM, Fred Drake wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2007 7:57 AM, Doug Hellmann <doug at hellfly.net> wrote:
>> I would want an error, since the resulting
>> package would not show up in any categories at all.
>
> But the Trove classifiers are optional now, so I'm not at all sure it
> should be turned into an error.  Leaving it as a warning seems
> sufficient; someone who sees that the warning was caused by a typo
> after all can still go to the web form and edit the set of classifiers
> (or maybe re-register after correcting the metadata; I'm not sure if
> that'll work).
>
> Or are you proposing that the classifiers become required?  That's
> going to cause a lot of packages to require work before new versions
> can be released, which doesn't seem good to me.

Ah, I didn't realize they were optional.  It never occurred to me to
try to post a package without any categories listed.  :-)

What I'm trying to do is make it easy to figure out when I've botched
something in my configuration.  If there are no categories listed for
a package I am uploading, or no *known* categories listed, that seems
like it warrants a special message, even if the server warns me about
each category I specify that it doesn't know.

But I won't push it.  As long as the server tells me about categories
it doesn't recognize, I should be able to figure out if I've not
given any valid categories at all, and that's good enough.

Doug