[Catalog-sig] How to get a list of package releases

Michał Kwiatkowski constant.beta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 02:12:09 CET 2007

On 1/20/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Phillip J. Eby schrieb:
> >> Specifically the package_releases method.
> >
> > That method only lists non-hidden versions; the OP wanted to know how
> > to get information on *all* versions.
>
> He might have said that; I doubt he really meant it (of course, only
> the OP can clarify here).

I meant listing all releases that can be installed via command
"easy_install package==release". If hidden versions can't be installed
this way I don't want them listed. The problem as I see it is that
although easy_install can find all possible versions they are not
listed on PyPI. I think this kind of asymmetry is bad for usability. I
would like to work out this problem in two steps. First, port
package_releases RPC to WWW interface (which will list all non-hidden
versions). Second, use setuptools mechanisms to discover additional
versions in package description (as described here:
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#making-your-package-available-for-easyinstall).
First is straightforward and second a bit harder, as I don't know
setuptools codebase as well as PyPI's. This all can hopefully be
worked out.

Cheers,
mk