[Catalog-sig] psycoph errors from pypi

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sat Jul 7 00:44:51 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Ah, OK, that explains it.  This is a reasonable thing to do from a
>> performance point of view.  Thanks for plugging away at this. :)
>>
>> (Of course it's too bad we don't have a better way of testing changes.
>> Oh well.)
>
> If there were volunteer testers, it would be possible to test changes
> for some period of time. Such testers would have to build themselves
> a PyPI installation, and then checkout all changes that have been
> committed (or install them from a tracker where they float around).
>
> Alternatively, if somebody contributed a unit test suite, certain
> problems might get caught.
>
> In the specific case, I tested whether PyPI "works" on my local
> installation, and I apparently didn't not manage to trigger the
> problem. My guess is that it was originally triggered by some
> failing concurrent access, which is really hard to test for.

Are exceptions being logged, and actively sent to someone who can handle
them?  This particular problem sounds like it is fairly deployment- and
load-specific, so testing probably wouldn't have found it anyway.

--
Ian Bicking : ianb at colorstudy.com : http://blog.ianbicking.org
             : Write code, do good : http://topp.openplans.org/careers