[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 7 09:12:20 CEST 2007

> Now I just need to finish off the static file generation code.  It
> needs a tool which can run every minute or so, which will look for any
> changes.

Would it be possible to trigger that explicitly by a write operation?
I'm doubtful about cron jobs for that kind of stuff - they run both
too often and too infrequent. It's too often because most of the time,
nothing changes, and too infrequent, because the user making the change
won't see it, and wonders where it got lost (they will see the change
as long they are logged in, then they log out, and the release is not
there).

IIUC, every addition to the journals should trigger a change, and then
the updating of the download counters. There are also changes to the
templates, but it would be ok if one would have to trigger regeneration
manually in this case.