[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 7 18:43:39 CEST 2007

> I tried using memcached for caching the database queries - for logged
> in users.  It did speed it up a little, but not that much.  It turns
> out that the templates take most of the time - at least on my machine.

For the majority of pages generated through page templates, I think
the static generation would be fine. I'm looking primarily into the
browse interface at the moment.

> There's some timing in the webui that gets written to a file in /tmp/asdfsdaf
>
> For concurrent access then memcached will make more of a difference though.
>
> Memcache could help even for logged in people, but I think replacing
> the template language with something faster will have the most effect.

I'm quite skeptical on caching in general (even about the static page
generation). It *should* be possible to make it fast enough so that
it doesn't need caching. I consider caching a work-around, not a
solution - and one with severe drawbacks.