[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 8 07:19:33 CEST 2007

> Polling is just one sql statement to see if something has changed.

It's not good enough if something has changed - one would also need
to know what precisely has changed, or else you would need to
regenerate everything.

> Polling ends up being faster if you are constantly having to do things
> all the time anyway.

Maybe (I don't fully understand what you try to say).

However, the cheeseshop does not change very often, so you don't
have to do things all the time anyway. If it was, caching would have
no advantage.

> 2-3 users are updating their packages, at a similar time.  The main
> index then gets regenerated 3 times, rather than once.

[Not sure what page precisely you are referring to as "the main index".
I'll assume you talk about the home page]

On July 7 (yesterday), there were 54 changes; the day before, there were
37. Of these, it is typical that multiple changes to the same package
happen within a few seconds, and then no changes happen for many
minutes; often not a single change within an hour.

It very rarely happens that there are 3 users simultaneously updating
their packages.

Regenerating the main index 3 times is very fast. Depending on how
precisely you prevent concurrent updates, and depending on how
similar the times are, the three users may not trigger three updates,
but only two, if the first update is still running when the second
and third one is attempted.