[Catalog-sig] Why so many zc.buildout versions?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 11 14:56:22 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 1:06 AM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>> I have been thinking about the same thing. I think it would be good
>>> to have, however, it will surely take some time until all setuptools
>>> implementations learn to use it.
>>
>> No, not at all.  You can tell setuptools to use a different index
>> than
>> the current one.  For example, this is a command-line option for
>> easy_install and a configuration option for buildout.
>
> Yes. However, that will make the feature only available to those who
> know about it. I have very shallow knowledge of setuptools and
> easy_install only (I nearly never use them at all), and I surely would
> miss such an option, and miss why it's relevant.

That's fine.  I don't care if most people can find it.  While it is
an *experimental* index, it is fine if only a few people play with
it.  If it is proven to work properly, then we could arrange that
other people get it by default.

> It's true that the Apache installation could also redirect existing
> installations to the new pages, but I doubt that they would be
> otherwise
> widely used until setuptools changes its hard-coded default.

Right, that's why, if the experiment works, we should then change the
Apache config to rediect setuptools to it.

Changing the apache config is much easier than updating the
setuptools installed base.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org