[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Wed Jul 11 20:25:58 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Benji York schrieb:

>> Is your position that PyPI isn't down/very slow on occasion or that when
>> it is no one complains?
>
> Both. I believe it shouldn't be down

The cheeseshop has provided its own proof that that believe is mistaken
by being down as I began composing this message. <wink>

> Jim Fulton complained that it took 0.3s to
> get a single package's page, which I cannot classify as "very slow".

During a single run setuptools or zc.buildout may make hundreds of
requests to the cheeseshop taking a total time in the minutes.  That's
not fast enough.  I can't see a technical reason why these requests
couldn't be handled much faster than 3 a second.

>> My team has lost many man hours to PyPI begin down/glacially slow.  This
>> isn't meant to disparage PyPI though, if it weren't such a great thing
>> it wouldn't be important to us.
>
> But when did that happen precisely?

I don't recall precisely.  I'll be sure to report outages religiously
from now on.
--
Benji York
http://benjiyork.com