[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 11 20:27:00 CEST 2007

Nathan R. Yergler schrieb:
> I'm getting the following right now:

> <title>502 Proxy Error</title>
> </head><body>
> <h1>Proxy Error</h1>
> response from an upstream server.<br />
> The proxy server could not handle the request <em><a

Thanks for all the reports. I'm really puzzled what precisely
happened. Apache has logged tons of the error messages

[Wed Jul 11 20:11:01 2007] [warn] FastCGI: server
"/data/pypi/src/pypi/pypi.fcgi" has failed to remain running for 30
seconds given 3 attempts, its restart interval has been backed off to
600 seconds

That caused the outage: the PyPI FCGI servers stopped, and failed
to restart, so FCGI backed off starting new ones.

However, I don't understand why PyPI crashed - it did not leave
a log message, and did not send an error email. After restarting
it, it seems to run just fine. The first crashed server was started
7:56 (UTC+2), and, at 11:04, the line

[warn] FastCGI: server "/data/pypi/src/pypi/pypi.fcgi" (pid 3770)
terminated by calling exit with status '0'

was logged, i.e. PyPI voluntarily decided to exit. The same happened
later again and again, but I can't figure out why it would do such
a thing.