[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 11 21:57:47 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 3:41 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>> This I still don't understand. Why does it need to query all
>>> available
>>> releases?
>>
>> The way that setuptools currently works, it scans each of the release
>> pages looking for distributions.  In theory, it could take the
>> names of
>> these pages into account and scan fewer.  It will still have to
>> scan at
>> least 2.
>
> Can you elaborate please? Why does it need to find distributions for
> versions that it will eventually not download?

It just scans the package page for URLs.  It doesn't really know that
the release pages correspond to a particular version.

Let's suppose that setuptools was changed to be aware that PyPI
release pages correspond to a particular version.  In that case, it
would have to read the package page to discover the release pages and
then it would have to read at least one release page.  If it had
requirements other than the version (e.g. Python version or
platform), it might have to scan several releases to find an
acceptable distribution.  But, in the best case, it would have to
scan at least two pages.

>> to get baking working, at which point the pages will be a lot faster.
>> At that point, I think it would be good to pursue alternate pages
>> more
>> optimized for setuptools to reduce the number and size of setuptools
>> requests.   I'll help any way I can with that.
>
> Deal: please provide sample pages for some of the packages (starting
> with some zc packages perhaps), plus a directory structure in which
> they should live.

Fair enough.  I'll do that.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org