[Catalog-sig] The purpose(s) of PYPI

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Jul 11 22:18:08 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 4:11 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> Second, I certainly meant no threat.  We need a working index to use
>> with setuptools.  I would hope, in the spirit of open source to
>> collaborate on that.  A basic questions that needs to be answered is
>> whether to use PyPI or to build something else.
>
> Ok. For this question, there is a seemingly-obvious answer: use PyPI.
> Why on earth would somebody want to build something else?

If we can make PyPI do what we (where "we" doesn't have to include
"you") need, then there is no reason.

I don't want to shove a bunch of requirements down someone's throat.
I understand that you don't object to new requirements if you don't
have to be responsible for them. That's perfectly fair.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org