[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 12 00:44:51 CEST 2007

At 08:11 AM 7/12/2007 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:
>On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> > > The questions for us is, how much effort we are willing to make to
> > > prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot.  I can understand
> > > why Phillip would like the package index to prevent people from choosing
> > > problematic package names.
> >
> > That's not my understanding - the issue isn't with "problematic package
> > names", but with conflicting package names. IOW, any single name is
> > fine - it's a pair of names that would cause a problem (and only if
> > you wanted to install both packages on the same system).
>
>A big issue that's not been raised is that *distutils* have no package name
>rules, but it's being proposed that PyPI does - thus a package author will
>potentially get an error when uploading their package,

That would happen now, if they spell their package exactly the same
as somebody else's package.

>and also the name that
>appears in the index may be quite different to the name of their package.

No-one has proposed that PyPI *change* a package's name, only that
one not be allowed to *add* a package whose name does not
sufficiently differ from an existing package that it would have a
different filename.

In other words, since someone has uploaded a package to the
CheeseShop called "aspects", I should not be able to register a
package called "Aspects" or "asPecTS".

If on the other hand I had registered a package named "Aspects"
first, then the other person should not be able to create one called
"aspects" or "ASPects".

So there is neither any changing of names, nor rejection of names on
their own, but only a restriction as to how *similar* two names may be.