[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 12 00:51:51 CEST 2007

On Jul 11, 2007, at 6:09 PM, Richard Jones wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, you wrote:
>> Yup.  Absolutely.  That's why it we should change the index or
>> setuptools, or both.  IMO, it makes the most sense to change the
>> index to have setuptools specific pages, in addition to the ones for
>> humans, that allow:
>
> ... you know about the XML-RPC interface, yes?

Yes.

> http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopXmlRpc
>
> I never fully understood why setuptools went with HTML scraping
> instead of
> XML-RPC.

The main reason, as Phillip has explained is that he wants to allow
static mirrors of the index.  Another good reason is to allow static
implementation, which would be far more scalable in the long run.

Thanks for reminding me of this though as it will make my little
project to prototype an alternate index format for setuptools easier. :)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org