[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jul 12 07:11:50 CEST 2007

> ATM, from my machine, xml-rpc requests to PyPI are taking about .27
> seconds.  This is only a little less than regular page requests.  With
> the current API, It would require at best 3 requests to get all of the
> distribution URLs.  Presumably, with a change to the API, we could get
> this down to one request, but that's still a long time given the demand
> I expect on PyPI in the future.

You seem to assume that if you see a round trip time of .27 seconds,
that then PyPI could only do 3 requests per second. That is not so.

I just logged onto www.python.org (a machine that is close to
cheeseshop.python.org), and called this function:

>>> s=xmlrpclib.ServerProxy("http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi")
>>> def f():
...   start=time.time()
...   for i in range(1000):s.package_releases('setuptools')
...   return time.time()-start
>>> f()
7.6247878074645996

So it can currently do 130 XML-RPC requests per second, to
a single client. Inverting it, a request takes 0.0076s,
which is a lot less than 0.27s.