[Catalog-sig] start on static generation, and caching - apache config.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Jul 12 20:15:03 CEST 2007

On Jul 12, 2007, at 2:07 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 08:35 PM 7/11/2007 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> > The questions for us is, how much effort we are willing to make to
>> > prevent people from shooting themselves in the foot.  I can
>> understand
>> > why Phillip would like the package index to prevent people from
>> choosing
>> > problematic package names.
>>
>> That's not my understanding - the issue isn't with "problematic
>> package
>> names", but with conflicting package names. IOW, any single name is
>> fine - it's a pair of names that would cause a problem (and only if
>> you wanted to install both packages on the same system).
>
> It's also a problem for locating the correct package in the first
> place...  which seems to fall under the jurisdiction of a "package
>
> This is just as important for direct human users of the Cheeseshop,
> as it is for the humans using software to access the Cheeseshop.

I want to make sure I understand this.  I would hope that searching
would be case insensitive and otherwise flexible wrt names.  Is there
any reason we can't expect URLs and requirement specifications to be
precisely spelled?  That is, if someone names their package "sPaM", I
see no reason why PyPI needs to support anything other than http://
www.python.org/pypi/sPaM as the one URL of the package.  Someone
should be able to use the search UI to search for "spam" and see a
result that includes "sPaM".  From then on, they should be able to
type the name "sPaM".  Or am I missing something?

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org