[Catalog-sig] Case sensitivity of package names

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jul 12 23:38:50 CEST 2007

> I really don't like this for setuptools.  My preference is that
> setuptools should be required to ask for a package with precise
> spelling.

I think the way setuptools currently works is this:

Every name gets converted to its lower-case safe-name equivalent.
All dependencies, file names, resource identifications etc
are based on that version of the name, *not* the "true"
name of the package.

Then, when setuptools tries to find a package whose "true"
name is in mixed-case, it uses the lower-cased safe-named
version, and PyPI reports that the package does not exist.
Then, setuptools queries the entire package list, trying
to find out the original spelling of the package.

I'm sure Phillip will correct me if I'm wrong.

> I could live with case-insensitive package names if we (for some
> definition of we, possibly being Guido) decided we want them, but I'd
> prefer they be case sensitive.  I'd still be in favor of avoiding
> confusing duplicates.  If we stick with case-sentitive package names,
> then I'd prefer that the interaction of setuptools with the index be
> case sensitive.

See above - I believe setuptools package names are case insensitive
today.