[Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jul 21 21:23:30 CEST 2007

> Unfortunately, that doesn't help current versions of setuptools.  See
> point #7 of:
>
> http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#package-index-api
>
> Setuptools looks for release links, not package links on that page.

I don't understand. What's a "release link"? The links on the index
page *do* go to the "project's active version pages", as specified
(there aren't any numbered version pages)

Jim left out that page entirely - are you saying it is impossible
to provide such an index page with the page structure that Jim
proposed?

> $ easy_install -vvvi http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple Pywin32
> Searching for Pywin32
> Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/Pywin32/
> Couldn't find index page for 'Pywin32' (maybe misspelled?)
> Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
> Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/
> No local packages or download links found for Pywin32

I see that it doesn't work, but I cannot understand why.
On

http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/

"pywin32" is clearly linked, so it should be able to resolve
the misspelling.

> Jim's already mentioned these, but the rel="" info (per the index API
> spec's point #6),

This is fixed.

> and the links embedded in the long_description field
> (per point #4) are missing.

I have to think about this more. Is it correct that you want all href
attributes of all a elements in the long_description? And how do you
know what the long_description is from just looking at the rendered
page?