[Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jul 23 12:59:44 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 1:03 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Jim Fulton schrieb:

>>> I don't understand. What page is fetched if the package is not in
>>> PyPI?
>>
>> We have lots of packages that aren't in PyPI.  Some of them aren't
>> ready
>> for PyPI or are not of general interest. Some are proprietary.
>
> Ah, ok. So I stand to my original statement (the one you classified
> as incorrect): *If* I do misspell a package name, *then* setuptools
> will correct the spelling if the index page is available.

Your full original statement was:

On Jul 21, 2007, at 3:08 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> IIUC, it won't slow down setuptools, as setuptools looks at it only
> if it cannot find the real package page due to a misspelling. So
> as long as everything is spelled correctly, it should not provide
> any slowdown.
>
> If people do misspell a package name when invoking easy_install,
> they get the feature that you consider of no value.

I was referring to the part about not slowing things down when people
didn't misspell.  But it looks like I was mistaken. It was my
understanding that setuptools always checked index/ when it couldn't
find index/package_name/, but as Phillip pointed out, if it finds a
package via find links, it won't look at index/.  Basic tests seem to
confirm this.

>>> Would people prefer if the index
>>> was always correct (and perhaps somewhat slow), or would they prefer
>>> instead that it is super-efficient (and somewhat out-of-date)?
>>
>> Where somewhat out of date could be a matter of seconds.
>
> And where somewhat slower could be "practically not noticable".

I wasn't arguing about speed.  I agree that when PyPI is working
well, the difference between the speed of the dynamic page and the
speed of a static page wouldn't be noticeable.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org