[Catalog-sig] We need to make a decision wrt distribution names

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 24 18:36:29 CEST 2007

Obviously, we are having a debate about what forms distribution names
can take.  I think we need a decision.

Does anyone know if there are existing rules for package names?  I
can't find them if there are.  Up until now, I think we've been in
somewhat of a prototyping mode, but I think it's time to move beyond
that.

I strongly suggest that we need an official specification that says:

- what's a legal package name and

- what the equivalence rules for package names are.

Whatever we decide needs to be well supported by setuptools and
PyPI.  I can live with whatever we decide as long as we decide
something and make sure it is well communicated and implemented. In
particular, I could live with the equivalence rules that setuptools
uses if they are documented and if they are supported correctly and
efficiently by the index (including mirrors).

IMO, a decision is extremely important.  If we can't reach consensus,
then we need to call in the BDFL.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org