[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] We need to make a decision wrt distribution names

Stephen Waterbury waterbug at pangalactic.us
Tue Jul 24 19:09:20 CEST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2007, at 12:49 PM, Stephen Waterbury wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>> Does anyone know if there are existing rules for package names?  I
>>> can't find them if there are.  ...
>>
>> Well, there is PEP 8, which has this to say on the subject:
>>
>> "Package and Module Names
>>
>>        "Modules should have short, all-lowercase names.  Underscores
>>         can be used in the module name if it improves readability.
>>         Python packages should also have short, all-lowercase names,
>>         although the use of underscores is discouraged."
>
> Doh, I was sloppy in my terminology. I should have said "distribution
> name".  We're talking about the names used in PyPI, the Python
> Distribution index. ;)  Also the value passed to the "name" argument of
> setup.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.  :)

Actually, I wasn't confused.  :)  I'd suggest a convention that allows
a distribution "title" (e.g., "Zope", "Twisted", etc.) and a
distribution "name" that would simply be the name of the
distribution's top-level package (e.g., "zope", "twisted", etc.), which
should follow the PEP 8 suggestion for package names and should be what
setuptools uses together with a version reference to uniquely
identify a specific distribution/version (egg).

Steve