[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 24 19:40:55 CEST 2007

>> But the package name and version are in the PKG-INFO files, so it
>> certainly has access to non-normalized names.  Why can't it double
>> check a possible match against that file?
>
> Because if case actually made a difference, we couldn't have both
> packages installed in the same directory, could we?

Right. However, there is a difference between case-insensitive,
and case-preserving.

> Note that if what's bothering you is the package index access time, use
> Apache's mod_speling to enable case-insensitive URLs for the static page
> tree.

That won't help. If you look for a name of a non-registered package,
setuptools will go to the index even if mod_speling corrects spelling
errors.

Such an approach is only possible if setuptools would stop using
the entire index if the server has case-insensitive lookup (which
it cannot determine).