[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] We need to make a decision wrt distribution names

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 24 19:45:08 CEST 2007

At 01:09 PM 7/24/2007 -0400, Stephen Waterbury wrote:
>Actually, I wasn't confused.  :)  I'd suggest a convention that allows
>a distribution "title" (e.g., "Zope", "Twisted", etc.) and a
>distribution "name" that would simply be the name of the
>distribution's top-level package (e.g., "zope", "twisted", etc.),

This proposal would rule out namespace packages, in addition to being
incompatible with existing distribution names.

Note that package != distribution -- a distribution may contain zero
or more packages (even top-level), *and* a single package (top-level
or otherwise) may be spread over more than one distribution.

Also note that this was true even with the distutils, long before
setuptools existed.