[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 24 19:52:32 CEST 2007

At 07:40 PM 7/24/2007 +0200, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> >> But the package name and version are in the PKG-INFO files, so it
> >> certainly has access to non-normalized names.  Why can't it double
> >> check a possible match against that file?
> >
> > Because if case actually made a difference, we couldn't have both
> > packages installed in the same directory, could we?
>
>Right. However, there is a difference between case-insensitive,
>and case-preserving.

I don't understand your statement here, nor what is supposed to follow from it.

> > Note that if what's bothering you is the package index access time, use
> > Apache's mod_speling to enable case-insensitive URLs for the static page
> > tree.
>
>That won't help. If you look for a name of a non-registered package,
>setuptools will go to the index even if mod_speling corrects spelling
>errors.

Jim's objection was that if it's possible to get case-correction from
the index, people will declare setup.py dependencies with incorrect
case, leading to other packages having indirect dependencies with
incorrect case, leading to lots of package index lookups.

This objection is relevant only to requirements which differ from the
actual project name only by their case.  A non-registered package
lookup is going to fail no matter what, and thus isn't going to wind
up in a setup.py without a dependency_links specifier that will
prevent it being looked up in the package index to begin with.