[Catalog-sig] Changing cheeseshop.python.org to pypi.python.org

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 24 22:36:31 CEST 2007

On Jul 24, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> After some discussion, it seems that nobody really likes
> the name "cheeseshop" for the Python Package Index,
> and some people seem to actively hate it.
>
> So I'm going to change the name (again/back): the software
> will call itself "Python Package Index", abbreviated as
> pypi (PyPI where case matters). The machine address
> cheeseshop.python.org will continue to work for a
> foreseeable future, but will not be actively advertised.

I think this is progress.

I'll note that "Package Index"  is somewhat misleading, because it
actually indexes distributions, not packages.  A more precise name
would be pydi and wouldn't be so easily confused with pypy.  (Jim
ducks. Jim looks forward to pydi tee shirts.)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org