[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 22:37:49 CEST 2007

My real motive is selfishness.  I like that easy_install in not case
sensitive, as I and other people I am helping to learn Python.  I just
hope that doesn't go away.  My suggestion is mored geared toward, how
do I "keep" that feature :)

> no intuition for, perhaps because English is not my native language.
> I give up trying to understand - just to give you an idea:

I apologize, I can be very lazy when I type.

> I now think "perhaps not bad, but
> unhelpful, unless you also contribute an implementation of it".
> It's a change to setuptools, which is still mostly a one-man-show,
> (IIUC), so proposing ideas in general is futile (as for most software
> with a single author - including PyPI); the single author cannot
> possibly implement all the ideas people have.

The basic algorithm is that a local index of PyPi could be kept in one
file.  If an incorrect search was made, the first action to occur
would be to check if the local file was the same as the file on the
server.  If not, it would sync the changes with svn.  Then
easy_install would try to do lookups against the local file to find a
match.

I am happy to help if you need help.  I am particular interest in
easy_install as I am writing a chapter on it for an O'Reilly book as
well, again a partially selfish motive :)

Noah

--
http://www.blog.noahgift.com