[Catalog-sig] Changing cheeseshop.python.org to pypi.python.org

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Tue Jul 24 23:33:40 CEST 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> After some discussion, it seems that nobody really likes
> the name "cheeseshop" for the Python Package Index,
> and some people seem to actively hate it.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm one of the people who
actively love it (whatever that means :)).

> So I'm going to change the name (again/back): the software
> will call itself "Python Package Index", abbreviated as
> pypi (PyPI where case matters). The machine address
> cheeseshop.python.org will continue to work for a
> foreseeable future, but will not be actively advertised.

To avoid confusion with PyPy, we can perhaps encourage a different
pronounciation (or a totally different name as Jim has suggested). I've
been pronouncing it "pippi" (as in Longstocking) myself.