[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 00:30:31 CEST 2007

On 7/24/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 04:37 PM 7/24/2007 -0400, Noah Gift wrote:
> >The basic algorithm is that a local index of PyPi could be kept in one
> >file.  If an incorrect search was made, the first action to occur
> >would be to check if the local file was the same as the file on the
> >server.  If not, it would sync the changes with svn.  Then
> >easy_install would try to do lookups against the local file to find a
> >match.
>
> Note that there are a lot of ways you can implement something like
> this without even involving me on the client or Martin on the
> server.  For example, setuptools.package_index uses urllib2 for all
> its URL access, so installing an "opener" that does caching before
> invoking easy_install is possible.  You can also subclass the
> easy_install command class and the PackageIndex class, or tell the
> easy_install command class to use a different PackageIndex implementation.
>
> In the long run, I'd like to add some entry points to allow people to
> extend the search mechanism in such ways, but for now you can
> certainly hack subclasses easily enough and make your own alternative
> commands, as Jim has done for integrating zc.buildout with setuptools.

Great suggestion!  I really like that idea.

Does this mean it is also easy to point to another local repository
that is available via NFS?  I guess a local http mirror would work
just as well, if you told the opener about it.

This seems like a good way to instruct a sysadmin on how to setup a
local customized infrastructure!

--
http://www.blog.noahgift.com