[Catalog-sig] Cheeseshop performance improved

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jun 25 23:34:15 CEST 2007

On Jun 25, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>>> Can you be more precise? What does that mean? What operation
>>> are you performing, and how did you find out that it is
>>> very slow?
>>
>> Well, I noticed that buildouts, which use setuptools, are running
>> slow.
>> Then I tried accessing the pypi home page, which was very slow.
>
> Can you quantify that (milliseconds, seconds, minutes, hours)?

In this case, I'd say around 30 seconds per request.  next time I'll
time it more precisely.

> In any case, that was apparently shortly before a restart, so
> apparently, this was already at a point when peformance was
> degrading.

I appreciate your efforts.  I suspect that this will help a little .

I'm certain that baking will help a lot. We just need to find someone
with enough time to implement it.

Can you tell if the memory leak is coming from PyPI or from the
Wiki?  I think that another short term thing to try would be to put
PyPI on its own machine to protect it from Wiki load. I don't know if
this will help, but it might be worth trying.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org