[Catalog-sig] Deprecation warnings on PyPI

Yannick Gingras ygingras at ygingras.net
Fri Nov 2 00:21:28 CET 2007

Greetings Catalogers,
  I'm the maintainer of a setuptools plugin for git called gitlsfiles.
After the urge to push my first release out of the door had subsided,
I could not help but to realize that it was a really silly name that I
had chosen for this plugin.  So I engaged the other setuptools plugin
maintainers for advice and we all agreed that it would be best for
everyone if our plugins were called setuptools_<rcs>.

I'm about to push setuptools_git 0.3 out of the door but I want people
to stop using gitlsfiles.  I understand, thanks to Barry Warsaw's
investigation, that PyPI has currently no support for automatic
redirection for deprecated packages.

How should we proceed to indicate that the old package are deprecated?
Upload a newer PKG-INFO with a big deprecation warning and no files?
Any other suggestions?

--
Yannick Gingras