[Catalog-sig] Hosting documentation on PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 6 20:39:49 CEST 2008

> Can't they be normalized?  I.e.:
>
>   re.sub('--+', '-', re.sub('[^a-z0-9]', '-', package.lower()))
>
> I *think* package names should be unique after this normalization, but
> I'm not sure.

Currently, they aren't unique under setuptools normalization, but I'm
working on fixing that. Whether or not this normalization will be
stricter, I don't know.

> It would be nice if no packages relied on punctuation or
> case to make them unique, regardless of this domain issue.

That's the setuptools normalization. Currently, there are about 20
packages which conflict under that normalization (in some cases,
these are registrations for the very same software, in other cases,
genuine naming conflicts).

Whether or not package owners would like the resulting host names
is questionable, IMO, so I would like to leave that option for further
study, and start with a single host name.