[Catalog-sig] Hosting documentation on PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 6 22:01:49 CEST 2008

> JFTR, I also like the look of http://package.pypi.python.org/ and would
> vote for subdomains if it can be done with decent normalization.

It turns out to be quite tricky: the XS4ALL web interface for DNS
doesn't support the proper delegation/wildcards. An option would be
to register a new domain (pypi.org, pyforge.org, pypackages.org
are all gone already) were we can easier manage the zones; XS4ALL
might also be willing to perform a manual change in the zone (haven't
asked yet).

In any case, I view the normalization as the bigger issue.

> Of course, we can also only offer the domain to those distributions
> with suitable names.

That would also be an option. In that case, packages.python.org
would have to be available, anyway, and for those people with "funny"
project names, the DNS lookup would just fail (or then the Apache
virtual host lookup).