[Catalog-sig] Hosting documentation on PyPI

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Aug 6 22:17:30 CEST 2008

>> Sounds reasonable. So it is just packages.python.org/<project> then,
>> and the upload interface is on the pkg_edit page (rather than the
>> submit_form page).
>
> What are you thinking about for upload?  Upload a zip file?  Some more
> RESTy interface?

Initially, just a form upload, with fields for name and content. Content
must be a .tar.gz file.

> Does uploading new files implicitly
> remove all old files, or add to them?

It removes all files, yes.

> Would something like rsync be possible to make it more efficient?

If that ever gets a problem, we will have to buy more disks first, I
fear. It would be possible to set up rsync, yes, although I'm not sure
how to have rsync use the PyPI accounts for authentication - the
passwords aren't stored in a suitable form (instead, they are SHA
hashes). Does anybody have a Python rsync server :-?

I should probably set a size constraints on the file size also;
I really do fear abuse.

> Probably automated tools will
> appear nearly instantly (I'd probably use the form about once before
> writing a tool), so something like an API is called for.

Form upload is not a sufficient API?