[Catalog-sig] High-availability for PyPI, mirroring infrastructures?

Tarek Ziade tarek.ziade at ingeniweb.com
Tue Aug 12 14:13:00 CEST 2008

2008/8/12 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com>

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:41 AM, Tarek Ziade wrote:
>
>> Since mirrors for PyPI and alternative egg servers are being , what about
>> making the "index" variable in
>> zc.buildout accept multiple values, like what find-links does ?
>>

> Buildout uses and tries hard to be compatible with setuptools. In
> particular, it relies on the setuptools.package_index.PackageIndex class,
> which only allows a single index to be provided.

Yes, I was thinking of handling several PackageIndex instances on
zc.buildout side as a first thaught.

We have started to play with several index instance in our Proxy, which
assumes it does a bit of conflict/order resolving
but it seems feasible.

>  If we want to allow multiple indexes to be used, then support should be
> added to setuptools and easy_install first.

It sounds right to do it on setuptools level yes, I'll add a feature request
on setuptools tracker to see what Philip says then.

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé - Directeur Technique
INGENIWEB (TM) - SAS 50000 Euros - RC B 438 725 632