[Catalog-sig] High-availability for PyPI, mirroring infrastructures?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 12 17:09:17 CEST 2008

At 02:13 PM 8/12/2008 +0200, Tarek Ziade wrote:
>2008/8/12 Jim Fulton <<mailto:jim at zope.com>jim at zope.com>
>
>On Aug 12, 2008, at 4:41 AM, Tarek Ziade wrote:
>
>Since mirrors for PyPI and alternative egg servers are being , what
>about making the "index" variable in
>zc.buildout accept multiple values, like what find-links does ?
>

>Buildout uses and tries hard to be compatible with setuptools. In
>particular, it relies on the setuptools.package_index.PackageIndex
>class, which only allows a single index to be provided.
>

>Yes, I was thinking of handling several PackageIndex instances on
>zc.buildout side as a first thaught.

What you really want/need is to make the PackageIndex support
retrieval from multiple index urls; the PackageIndex itself
aggregates available packages from sources such as the local file
system, -f urls, and an underlying package index.  So having multiple
aggregators would duplicate processing, and deprive you of a global
ordering of package precedences.