[Catalog-sig] licensing and accessability of code on pypi

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Aug 28 17:14:32 CEST 2008

At 04:30 PM 8/28/2008 +0200, Joachim König-Baltes wrote:
>Today I got aware of pySSH_Monitor through my RSS reader. Trying to download
>the code by clicking on the download link on pypi I got redirected
>to www.pypi.info
>that requires registration through invitation only (by whoom anyway?).

That site appears to be infringing on PSF trademarks; it is clearly a
commercial site (many pages with almost no content besides
advertising) and is using the Python logo (and the PyPI name) in a
way that is likely to be confusing as to the origin of the
materials.  ISTM that it's cut-and-dried trademark infringement under
US law at least, and that the PSF should send them a cease-and-desist letter.

Oh, and the site includes a fair amount of content either scraped or
copied and pasted from python.org et al...  and it appears the
creator of the site also runs pyeggs.com, where the company claims to
be "The Python Company"...  another possible TM issue.  And on that
site, they claim to be using the Python trademark by permission.

ISTM that both sites should at minimum be disclaiming ownership or
association with the PSF, and properly identifying the source of their content.