[Catalog-sig] Updating a package that I don't maintain?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Feb 1 20:25:59 CET 2008

> Hi, I have a bugfix for the Python cjson package:
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/python-cjson
>
> I submitted a patch to the package author 12/18/2007 -- no response and
> no newly released package which makes me think he's not actively
> maintaining it any longer.
>
> Is there a process in place if someone other than the current maintainer
> would like to make an update to a package?

No. One option would be to fork the project, assuming the license allows
for that (i.e. it allows you to modify the source, and to distribute
the original code along with your modifications).

However, I would recommend to wait. A month is nothing. If there is no
response within a year, and after 4 pings or so, you may start to worry.

In any case, PyPI has nothing to do with this. It only indexes the
packages, but has otherwise no relationship to them, or control
over them.