[Catalog-sig] PyPI Enhancements (was: permissive trove classification)

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 18:08:51 CET 2008

On Jan 6, 2008 6:03 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> When a user call the register or the upload command with such a file, it
> will loop through every section, and ask the used at the prompt if he wants
> to perform the action over the given server.

This doesn't sound quite right to me.  The set of servers used should
be explicit, and there shouldn't be an assumption that any section
found is necessarily a server.

Perhaps something more like this would be appropriate:

  [distutils]
  index-servers = pypi mycompany

  [pypi]
  url = http://pypi.python.org/pypi/
  username = mypubliclogin
  password = mypassword

  [mycompany]
  url = http://pypi.example.com/pypi/
  username = mycompanylogin
  password = mypassword

The default for distutils:index-servers could be pypi (and the
pypi:url value would be defaulted as well).  (In this structure, it's
almost unfortunate that the section storing the username and password
is "server-login" instead of "pypi"; something would need to be done
to finesse that, or perhaps that section could be used to provide
defaults for the username and password values for the specific server
sections.

My main point, though, is that detecting the set of servers shouldn't
be magical.

I don't really like the sort of interactivity you're proposing, but I
suspect there are a variety of ways to deal with that as well.  I've
some thoughts on that, but they're not horribly clear just yet.

  -Fred