[Catalog-sig] [Distutils] pre-PEP : Synthesis of previous threads, and irc talks + proposals

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Sun Oct 5 18:13:37 CEST 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 19:10 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> I hate the idea of dynamic metadata in fact. I can't express precisely
> why at that point.

Me too and me too.

Perhaps it would help to distinguish between requiring a certain
functionality and requiring a specific codebase which implements that
functionality.

For example: distribution A requires the functionality of ctypes.
That part is statically, declaratively always true.

However, distribution A doesn't necessarily require a *distribution*
named "ctypes".  If you are running on Python 2.6, then that
functionality is already present.  If there is a new distribution out
there named "new_ctypes" which provides the same functionality and
the same interface but is a completely different code base, then the
presence of "new_ctypes" satisfies distribution A's requirements.

The former question is simple, static, and declarative.  The latter
question isn't.

In most cases there is only one implementation of a given interface,
so we make do by equating the interface with the implementation.

I wonder how Debian and Fedora handle this sort of issue?

Regards,

Zooko
---
http://allmydata.org -- Tahoe, the Least-Authority Filesystem