[Catalog-sig] If PyPI is more strict with its packages, may be we can build binary packages from them directly.

li wang charlesw123456 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 08:09:13 CEST 2008

hi~

I'm writing pypi2pkgsys: http://code.google.com/p/pypi2pkgsys/ .
I noticed that the name, license of python modules registered in PyPI
is really a miss. Such as 'Are You Human?', even easy-install can not
install them with these strange name.

Most of the linux user use a linux distribution, such as fedora, ubuntu or
gentoo, I'm not willing to install python module by easy-install because
the local package management system will not know the python module
is installed already. They will install them with some old version again.

If PyPI is more strict in name, license and its format, automatically
package install within the distribution package management system should
be possible.

By the way, PyPI is really slow here, mirror should be welcomed. And I have
add the local mirror features into pypi2pkgsys.

Thanks. Any comment is welcomed.

Charles   Oct 6th, 2008.