[Catalog-sig] PyPI replication project

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Oct 10 00:36:33 CEST 2008

> If there would be an easy way to replicate the PyPI backend (no idea
> about the implementation - any RDBMS involved) then there are likely
> volunteers taking over the resources for a mirror of the current backend.

I don't think a mirror would help. If the original system is down,
who would tell users to go to alternative locations?

> Please tell us how a distributed PyPI backend would look like..one
> requirement would be that the software and database part (if any) have
> to be in a good shape - the last time I tried the PyPI software I have
> not had the best impression.

Again, I don't think that distribution improves anything - I rather
would expect that it introduces new problems.

What would help is more people who know how to operate the software,
and restart it when it breaks (or can contribute automatic error
recovery).